Learn About Auto, Home, and Umbrella Insurance

Auto Insurance

Yes, coverage extends from your auto policy to Canada. Before you travel to Canada, please contact us so we can provide Canadian ID cards.

No, coverage does not extend into Mexico. If you wish to have your vehicle covered while in Mexico, you must purchase insurance before you cross the border.

The answer to this question depends on what company you are insured with. Please contact us to verify if we need to add your permitted driver or not.

No. Your homeowner's policy does not cover motorized vehicles unless they are SOLELY used for the maintenance and upkeep of your property. Please contact us for further info.

If you have a vehicle that is a lease or that has a loan on it, you may want to consider this coverage. LLG is an extension of your vehicle's physical damage coverage. As soon as a newly purchased vehicle is driven off the lot, the value of the vehicle decreases significantly.

If you were to have an accident in your vehicle that is leased or has a loan and the accident resulted in a total loss, this coverage "bridges the gap" between the value of your vehicle at the time of the accident and the amount that you still owe to the bank. Although there are some limitations with this coverage, most of our companies guarantee 125% of the value of the vehicle at the time of the loss if you purchase this coverage. Please contact our office to verify.

If you have comprehensive (other than collision) and collision coverages on at least one vehicle on your policy, you are most likely covered while traveling within the United States and its territories and possessions, or Canada (coverage does not extend to Mexico).

However, if you have a loss while in a rental vehicle and you are at fault, you need to ask the rental company what their policy is on Loss of Use and Depreciation. If you do damage to a rental vehicle and it needs to be in the body shop for one week, that vehicle will not be able to earn the rental company money for that week. Some rental companies will require reimbursement and your policy does not offer coverage for that.

Also, if you cause an accident that causes the value of the vehicle to depreciate by a specific dollar amount (let's say $2000), some rental companies will also require reimbursement for that loss in value which would not be provided by your policy. Bottom line, we advise our clients to discuss this with the rental company. If the rental company will require reimbursement, it may be in your best interest to purchase their insurance.

Home Insurance

Your policy specifically lists "windstorm" as a covered loss. Tornadoes, hurricanes, high winds, thunderstorms, and blizzards are all included in the definition of windstorms. Therefore, your policy would provide coverage if your home was hit by a tornado.

Earthquake is excluded from all homeowner's policies. However, there is an option to buy that coverage back if you so choose. If you are unsure if you have this coverage, or if you would like to purchase this coverage, please contact our office.

Flood is excluded from all homeowner's policies. This particular coverage cannot be added to your homeowner's policy. However, we do offer Flood Insurance policies to our insureds who wish to purchase that coverage. This policy would be separate from your homeowner's. If you live in a participating community, you are eligible to purchase a flood policy.

Umbrella Insurance

In short, an umbrella offers extra liability coverage. It adds one million dollars (or multiples of $1 million) of protection to the liability limits of your home and auto insurance policy. Should a judgment against you exceed the limits of that policy, the umbrella picks up the unpaid portion up to the umbrella policy limit.

We recommend that our clients should have as much liability protection as they feel they need and can afford. You never know when the loss will occur that will exceed the liability limits on your home or auto policy. An umbrella can protect your assets against just such an occurrence. There are minimum liability limits that must be maintained on your underlying policies if you have an umbrella.